Friday, November 1, 2013

Adding Value to Your LinkedIn Account



In my J 452 class this term, we created personalized social media plans for ourselves. Throughout each week we update three different social media platforms of our choice. I wanted to choose a social networking site that would help me gain a network of people who have similar career interests that I do, so I signed myself up for a LinkedIn account.

After reading David Graham's  article 5 Things People Need To Do More of on LinkedIn,  I realized that there is so much more I can be doing on LinkedIn to not only make better connections, but to also develop my profile so that potential employers can see how I brand myself.

Here are Graham's Top 5 Tips for LinkedIn:

1. Ensure your profile clearly articulates your value proposition 
No matter if you are looking for a job or a prospective client,  it is important to make sure your profile is  constantly being updated. Your work experience and latest projects should be relevant to the job you are applying for. Under your profile you can mention specific skills that demonstrate how you would add value to a company. Asking employers or clients to write endorsements and recommendations on your profile makes you seem more knowledgeable about certain fields.

2. Give the person a reason to connect with you 
Instead of just using the typical "I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn" message when making a connection try adding a personal message as to why you are linking with that person. It can also be helpful to include what the other person will get out of connecting with you. Including a personalized message shows that you value the experiences and network that the other person has built up.

3. Find reasons to follow up and respond

Use different opportunities to thank people you have connected with. For example, after making a connection with someone you can send them an email to thank them for linking with you. This is also a great time to mention any of your other social networking sites where you can follow them. If someone continuously likes or shares any articles you have posted, be sure to thank them and let them know you can send them any additional information if they are interested.

4. Introduce connections to your network

Take the time to introduce people in your network who have similar career interests to people you've just connected with. Chances are that most people will likely return the favor and introduce you to potential employers or clients who are in their network.

5. Ask for introductions from existing connections 
Don't be afraid to ask others for introductions to people in someone else's network. More likely than not your connection will be happy to facilitate an introduction as long as you have a good reason as to why you'd like to be introduced to that person.

Since becoming a newcomer to LinkedIn I have only started with the basics of creating a profile and attempting to connect with my closest friends. I have yet to discover the true power behind LinkedIn, but I think that these tips will help me utilize this networking site to its fullest potential. Building a network and making connections on LinkedIn is only the first step to fully appreciating the power of this site. I recommend that others constantly update their profiles and use their profiles as if it is a resume. You never know when a future employer could be looking at your account! Going the extra step to thank someone for introducing a connection or following up with someone will show people in your network that you are a committed worker. All of the steps mentioned above can add value to not only a person's network, but also their personal brand that they are creating on LinkedIn.



1 comment:

  1. I found a lot of value in this post because I personally have been having problems with my LinkedIn page. There was a lot of new information about LinkedIn that I was unaware about, despite having researched the site before. The post wasn't overwhelming and easy to understand. I liked the top five format because it made it easy to read. I have considered using this format for my own posts, but now I definitely will. I feel like this post should be on a national media outlet. Good job!

    ReplyDelete